Sunday, February 7, 2010

Saying Goodbye

This is the last picture I took with my grandmother on Christmas Eve.



I said goodbye to my precious grandmother Munner, on January 26th. Well, I actually got to say my goodbye to her about 2 weeks before then. She had a heart attack on Decemeber 31st and had to stay in the hospital, and long story short, her kidneys shut down, she developed ARDs which basically filled her lungs with fluid, and also developed obstructive bowel and the doctors basically told us there was nothing else they could do for her but make her comfortable.


She was so precious to my heart. She loved my girls so much and always called me to bring them to her house. I tried to go often. We talked atleast once a week and I think about her everyday. I find myself wanting to talk to her more and more as time goes on, its one of the hardest things to grasp that I can't. Since she knew she was dying, all her family was able to tell her goodbye. I can't explain how amazing this was. I got to spend alone time with her, we talked about all our times together, she made me laugh, she told me how beautiful she thought I was, she told me "if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all" (that was for me not her), and she told me she was ready to see Jesus. I knew she was ready to be over her suffering. Although my selfish flesh would have kept her here just for me.


Having to explain death to Sittre Paige has been interesting. We actually had to explain death to her this past summer when my parents cat got hit by a car and died while we were over at their house visiting. She of course got to know Munner, and asks about her alot. I could type all day about her funny questions and sayings. She went through a stage where she kept asking if she was going to die so we realized we might be telling her too much or maybe scaring her. Although we just told her when you die you get to see Jesus, I think when we tried to explain you don't come back she got paranoid. Again, trying to figure out how to be parents and learning as we go!!
She took many pictures with Munner and we keep them out so she will always remember her. Sittre Paige was so lucky to get to know her, I just feel bad Stella didn't get too.

I spoke at her funeral. I wanted to, because she was such a wonderful grandmother to me I couldn't let it go by without telling everyone. I had to type my speech out because the minute I get in front of people I freeze. I didn't think I was going to be able to open my mouth, but of course the peace of the Holy Spirit comforted my soul. He always comes through for me. But I was proud to speak about things we did together and to let people know that my grandmother knew Jesus Christ as her personal Savior. I miss her so badly and there probably won't be a day I don't think about her but I'm certainly glad to know that she is now Home.

1 comment:

  1. HOME.. made me think of that carrie Underwood song, this is just our temporary HOME. you will be with FOREVER one day. Kristen, please tell more stories of SP asking questions, that kid is stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete